Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Poor Mans Machine Embroidery!

Good morning!  The last couple mornings I have been sewing and trying to get a little quilt done that was for my February Small Quilts club. I had just been swamped last week with things and didn't get my sample done in time for class. Thank goodness it didn't have tricky blocks or anything, and the part that needed to be demonstrated, I did have done! 
I transferred the design with a fusion pen, that can be erased with steam. I call this poor mans machine embroidery. It probably has a proper name, the stitch that is, but I can't find my manual to tell you what it is! Haha! On my Janome Memory Craft 6600p, it is stitch number 5 in mode 2. Here is a picture of the stitch on my machine...
My sister, Gretchen, and I saw a gal at Market a couple of years ago demonstrating this, and for the life of me, I can't remember her company name. But she was showing how to do redwork on just a simple machine! It is like a backstitch by machine,  and you just have to get the stitch motion in your head so you know when to stop with your needle down to turn on curves or points. It is fun, and fast! I do love to do hand work, but I like to show my club gals new things they might not have tried, and after 2 years going strong with this club, I like it to be more than just a new block! So here is a picture of the finished quilt top! I got the idea for the patchwork blocks from the cute doggie pattern from Country Threads in my last post! Oh, by the way, the little dog quilt went over really well at the Humane Society auction. I didn't meet the gal who won it, but I hear she was very happy!
    Now to quilt bind and age with some coffee solution! I think one of the ladies in my club is actually appliquing her center design with wool! I might have to make another one and do the same thing! I do have some left over blocks! This pattern is called "American patchwork!"
    At the shop we have been moving some things around. One of our Antique vendors, on the other side of our building where we have the "Painted Cupboard," is taking on a larger space. So we needed to move some of our gifty stuff out into the quilt shop. Well, that always snowballs into a complete change in the floor plan, because I seem to not be able to just move one area! So I'll take some new pictures of the shop to share when I'm done!
    Here is an update..... Dad is doing really well, healing up nicely and getting around the house! He is anxious to get back to work at the shop and everyone really misses him! Thanks for your prayers and well wishes!
   I hope you all have a great day!!
      Jeni

 

7 comments:

  1. That came out really nicely. I have an embroidery machine, still haven't used that part, lol. I do like the idea of machine stitching and painting with thread, will be fun to try.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie! On another play piece, I did this technique to do the outline, and then put wool thread on my machine, with a topstitch needle. I also used the darning/quilting foot, dropped the feed dogs and "painted" in the sections with the wool thread! It was a ton of fun! If I can figure out how to download the video on my I-Phone I took while doing it, I will! Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and simple! Love the way the 16 patch looks elongated from the pinwheel blocks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missie! I had fun chain piecing those things!
      Jeni

      Delete
  4. Hi Jeni! Loveyour blog!! Am glad to hear your Dad is doing so well! Let him know how much we miss him around the shop!! Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is written in a very good and entails a lot of useful information for me. I am glad to find a good way of writing the post.

    Promotional printing oklahoma city


    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting packaging, although I don’t really know how efficient some of them are. No doubt that I have to say something about your inseparable packaging design whatever you have done great job. It’s great to see that marketers are always thinking!

    ReplyDelete